By: Sara Wolf
As of March 20, it’s officially springtime. Whether or not Ohio decides to let it feel like it, spring is, as always, unpredictable. If you’re out of ideas on how to pass the cold, warm, rainy and sunny spring-ish time between now and summer, here are a few events happening in Bellbrook this spring and other ideas to help you to be better involved in your community.
Support your school!
Spring sports at BHS include softball, baseball, boys’ and girls’ lacrosse, boys’ tennis, and track & field. All schedules are posted on each sport’s athletic page on the school website, but here are some early season dates so that you can come out and cheer on our athletes.
- Girls’ lacrosse: Thursday, March 30 – Home game at the stadium against Little Miami
- Boys’ lacrosse: Wednesday, April 19 – Home game at the stadium against Beavercreek
- Baseball: Saturday, March 25 – Home double-header against Alter and Northwestern. Home game Monday, March 27 against Eaton
- Softball: Monday, March 27 – Home game against Eaton
- Boys’ tennis: Wednesday, March 29 – JV 4-5, Varsity 5-6, matches at Alter High School
- Track & Field: Tuesday, March 28 – meet at Fairmont High School. The Golden Eagle Invitational home meet is Thursday, April 18.
Support Bellbrook’s Businesses
Bellbrook is a little town, but still home to many small, hardworking businesses that bring the little town big character. Go to the extra and worthwhile “trouble” of exploring and supporting more of our unique shops and stores that we should be proud of.
- Bellbrook Canoe Rental – If the weather soon permits, don’t deprive yourself of a few healthy hours on the Little Miami River in a canoe, tube, or kayak. Split the cost with a friend and appreciate just how pretty Bellbrook is when you aren’t just speeding through town or driving to school.
- Dairy Shed – Rumored to open March 23, make sure to wait in the inevitably long line to get that Bellbrook-defining ice cream that makes the wait worthwhile.
- BellHOP Cafe – A little known fact about BellHOP is that it is volunteer run, so be sure to go support such a cozy, happy cafe in the middle of town. It’s closed Mondays and Tuesdays, but some weekends BellHOP holds open mics where you can hear local talent.
- McIntosh’s Pub & Grub – Home of great wings, burgers, and pretzel bites, what reasons could there be not to make time to have dinner here and a nice time with friends or family?
- Third Season Restaurant – Fast, casual, great food. They have everything from burgers to pasta to paninis and beyond on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. On Saturdays the restaurant is only open 8 a.m. to noon for breakfast, and is closed Sunday through Tuesday. The restaurant will reopen in April as the ownership is vacationing the month of March, so go check it out once doors open in a couple of weeks!
- Blueberry Cafe – Arguably one of Bellbrook’s most prized possessions (right alongside Dairy Shed), the Blueberry Cafe is a favorite of not just those that call Bellbrook home, but many that drive into town just for the quaint, sweet cafe experience, and a visit from the muffin man.
Visit local parks
Other proud points of Bellbrook, Ohio, are the many parks we have. Spend a little extra time outside or just simply in a different space, breathe in that fresh air and get that essential vitamin D. Plan a picnic, hike with friends, or hang for an afternoon at one of these parks.
- Magee Park – 1820 Little Sugarcreek Road
- Bellbrock Park – 57 N Main Street
- Ron Kehl Park – 1730 Sonoma Court
- Washington Mill/Sackett Wright – 3311 Washington Mill Rd/3371 State Route 725
- Sweet Arrow Reserve – 789 Little Sugarcreek Road
- Sugarcreek Reserve Metropark – 4178 Conference Road
- Petrikis Park/Vemco – 3771 W. Franklin Street
Get more involved by taking advantage of volunteering opportunities to help better your community and you in the process. Volunteer at a local church, sporting event, park district event– the possibilities are many, and are out there. See Mrs. Rivero to seek out possible upcoming opportunities.
Important Spring Dates
- BHS Talent Show – Friday, March 31
- BHS Spring Musical, “Annie” – 7 p.m. April 28 and 29, 2 p.m. April 30
- Sugar Maple Festival – Friday, April 21 through Sunday, April 23
- Bellbrook-Sugarcreek Parks District Natural Arts Fest – Saturday, April 29
- Early Dismissal: April 12 and May 10
- No School: April 3-7, April 14, May 29