Survival Guide: Know your legal documents to get a job 

By: Angelique Taylor

The process of getting a job can be tedious and mentally exhausting, especially if you’re not prepared, so here’s what you’ll need.

First here are the legal documents you need in order to get your job and work in the U.S.:

  • Your birth certificate 
  • US passport or immigrant passport 
  • If you’re a student in high school, bring your school ID
  • School and possible previous employment records
  • Driver’s license
  • Resume: Some minimum wage jobs don’t require a resume, but do require you to fill out an application.
  • Social Security card and number 
  • For non-U.S. citizens: work permits such as permanent residency and/or a Green card 
  • Be sure you are at least 14-16 years old which is the legal working age according to the FSLA, Fair Labor Standards Act.
  • If you have any possible convictions or a criminal record, figure out if you are eligible to work

Note that you might need additional government records in order to work as these are the basic needs that you will need to bring. Don’t forget to review what you need to fill out on your work document I-9 that verifies your identity and your employment eligibility of individuals hired for employment in the United States. 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.